A place by the sea
Construction is under way to restore the Manor House, an old farmhouse built by John Cheever in 1835. A shipbuilder, we can imagine Mr. Cheever as one of artisans who laid foundations for the rich wooden boat building tradition maintained today in Brooklin, further down the peninsula. Overlooking Conary Cove and backed by the mill pond, this place by the sea is intended to engage audiences around issues presented by marine debris. Also under way is the installation of a demonstration garden integrating permaculture philosophies.